Siege and Storm ~ Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha Verse #2)


★★★★☆
"The world is changing," said Nikolai, the steel edge emerging in his voice. "We change with it, or there will be nothing left to remember us but the dust."

The Writing and Worldbuilding

I would have liked more in the beginning of Mal and Alina's life across the True Sea. The blurb lied to me a bit in that regard. I really liked the plot in this, way more than Shadow and Bone; it was more unpredictable and interesting, and also more heart-wrenching when it needed to be. But, because there wasn't as much Darkling as I'd have really loved, it fell just a little flat for me.

I'm a little confused about the whole magic versus fancy magic science thing. What's the difference? What's the magic really then?

The Characters

Alina: I really liked her slow descent into slight madness, growing a bit power-hungry. It was great; I always love slow descents into madness storylines. But her worrying over her love life while on the brink of war was a little annoying at times.



Mal: I liked him enough, but he was pretty darn jealous all the time, as if he expected Alina to make out with anything that looked at her a certain way. Like, dude. Cool it a little, would you? Just because you were a bit of a philanderer doesn't mean everyone is, alright?

Nikolai: I love Nikolai! He's so funny and great, but also serious and driven. I really enjoyed him, and I think he's a great addition.

The Darkling: Give me more Darkling, Leigh Bardugo! I want to know E V E R Y T H I N G

Tolya and Tamar: They were pretty interesting, but I wasn't particularly attached to either of them, to be honest.

Conclusion

It was great, in some ways better than Shadow and Bone, in other ways worse. Overall, I liked it enough, but I still definitely wouldn't say this is one of my favorite series. You still have one more book to convince me, Bardugo. Please let there be ruins and rising in that one. Please. I can't stand title disappointment.


Buy the book here:

Comments