Son ~ Lois Lowry (The Giver Quartet #4)


★★★★☆

I really liked this, but I didn't love it.

The Writing and World-Building

I really liked how this book goes into some more mature themes, like motherhood, apathy, abuse, and depression, but found that in the third part, where it should have climaxed and been at its literary peak, I found it somewhat lacking. There were some characters whose arcs weren't really completed. I did, though, really appreciate the return of the Trademaster, though he did feel rather stereotypical and cliché.

The Characters

Claire: I really loved Claire. She made an excellent protagonist for the majority of the book.

Einar: I seriously freaking love Einar. I only want the best for him! I just want him to be happy and loved! ❤❤❤

Gabe: He was a bit too similar to Matty to really feel like anything special, though I did like him.

Alys and Benedikt: They were so cute!!!

The Trademaster: A little tropey, a little Trumpy...

Conclusion

I liked it enough, and it worked as a suitable conclusion to the Giver, but I was still rather disappointed.

Buy the book here:

Comments