How I Live Now ~ Meg Rosoff


★★★☆☆

I'm not entirely sure how I felt about this. Let me begin by saying that I watched the movie first, several years ago, and somewhat enjoyed it but definitely wouldn't call it a favorite. The book is somewhat in a similar position, but I have to admit that for the most part, I enjoyed the movie more.

"There were thousands of stories just like this one, and mostly they didn't end happily."

The Writing and Worldbuilding

I was not a huge fan of the weird to quote or not to quote situation with the dialogue. In the vast majority of book, there were no quotation marks and I got used to that, but then in the second part, suddenly sometimes there were quotation marks and I was honestly so confused because it was pretty inconsistent which lines of dialogue had or didn't have any.

I really liked how we got more with the refugees and survivors in the second half of the book, which was mostly glossed over in the movie. Most of the actual emotion and depth was in that section to be completely honest. The rawness of their struggle was really great to read.

I didn't like the cousin incest because honestly it wasn't necessary. It was weird, didn't make a lot of sense pacing-wise, and was just uncomfortable, though I understand and liked the way it was explained in-universe.

The actual terrorist threat was okay, nothing particularly special. If you're looking for a profound and new perspective of war, this isn't it.

Also tf was up with that weird magical realism psychic crap?

The Characters

Daisy/Elizabeth: Honestly I hated this little brat for most of the book. She was anorexic just because she wanted to spite people, which is poor and inaccurate representation if I ever saw any. She didn't read like an actual teenager, she read like an old woman trying to conjure the rebellious youth of the day without actually knowing any actual youth and instead relying on stereotypes. She was just so selfish and unconcerned with the war, and claimed that no teenager actually cares at all about the war and politics, and being a teen on the brink of international war, I can assure you that of all the people, teens are some of the people who care the most.

Edmond: He was pointless and the ending with him was boring af

Piper: I really liked her. She was sweet and sincere.

Osbert and Isaac: Osbert wasn't given his due credit in my opinion and Isaac was a piece of wallpaper who didn't have a personality.

Conclusion

I can't say I liked it but I can say I cried a little.


Buy the book here:

Comments