The Maze Runner ~ James Dashner (The Maze Runner #1)


★★★★☆

Honestly. I don't have too much to say about this. I watched all the movies first and really enjoyed them. I feel like they (at least in the case of the first one) pretty accurately represented the books (at least the atmosphere and most plot points), so I don't really have any new feelings. In some ways, I think I might actually prefer the movie.

The writing style was alright; very easy to read, but a little too simple for my tastes, but I suppose it's perfect for a reluctant reader. The world is definitely the best part. I was always pretty confused about the explanations in the movies about why the Maze even exists in the first place, and the book definitely did a much better job there.

Character-wise, I'm fairly neutral. I liked Thomas but feel that he's also fairly generic. I'm pretty sick and tired of female protagonists, so it was nice to read about a boy for once, in a story that I'm sure was great for young male readers, who aren't written about and for nearly enough in my opinion. Chuck was great, but I liked him better in the movie. Newt's always fun though, and I liked him a lot. I did appreciate that Gally wasn't just some angsty villain like he was in the movie; that added a bit of depth.

I'll definitely finish the series, if not just to get to the prequels, since those didn't get movies, and I do really love the world. I'm trash for unique zombie apocalypses, what can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Buy the book here:

Comments