I Am Legend ~ Richard Matheson


(I hate movie covers but oh well)

★★★★★

I buddy read this with Nana! It was a re-read for me, my first read being in junior year of high school, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it once more!

How quickly one accepts the incredible if only one sees it enough.

Honestly the best thing about this book is Robert Neville. He's sad and alone and a little bit crazy, and I loved him. The poor guy deserves a nice long hug and a good ol' dog. He's such a fantastically complex character, and I really savored his sarcastic conversations with himself:

Crossing your fingers, Neville? Knocking on wood?

He ignored that, beginning to suspect his mind of harboring an alien. Once he might have termed it conscience. Now it was only an annoyance. Morality, after all, had fallen with society. He was his own ethic.

Makes a good excuse, doesn’t it, Neville? Oh, shut up.


*sighs contentedly* That's the good stuff, right there.

The very ending sort of bothered me on the second go, despite enjoying it the first time, and I didn't like Ruth as much as I had either. It was still pretty fantastic though.

Now, could Hollywood get it right for once? They've tried like 4 times and they still can't do it for some reason. Maybe Netflix should have a go this time.

Buy the book here:

Comments