Lirael ~ Garth Nix (Abhorsen #2)


★★★★★

I was listening to the last few chapters on audiobook (bless Tim Curry and his downright villainous voice) and had my eyes closed, and when that epilogue reveal happened, my eyes shot open like I was a Dead thing come back to consciousness.

The first 100 or so pages of this didn't entirely hook me, as we had a new protagonist and not a whole lot happened. But once it really got going, I was very invested. Lirael and Sameth were fantastic protagonists and I loved them both so much. Garth Nix is phenomenal at writing characters that act their age without being annoying or cliche. Even Sabriel and Prince Pinocchio aka Touchstone were recognizably the same people, despite so many years having passed since the first book.

The animal sidekicks in this once again utterly stole the show. As usual, Mogget was A+, but the Disreputable Dog was new and just as awesome. And their dynamic was golden. I absolutely adored everything about it.

The world in this never ceases to amaze me. It has that classic fantasy feel, with talking animal familiars and children's rhymes containing vital plot details. It has something that is all too lacking in current YA fantasy, which is bogged down by all the assassins and love interests and ~witty sarcasm~ This is simple and atmospheric, with relatable but brave characters and a beautifully realized world. I want more of this in my fantasy.

My one big gripe is that I am extremely confused about the nature of the rest of the world, outside of the Old Kingdom, like in Ancelstierre. There are numerous references to things that exist in our world, and not just simple things like specific sports, but complex stuff like Puss in Boots that have a lot to do with history. Is it to be assumed that Giovanni Francesco Straparola was also a guy in this universe?


Buy the book here:

Comments