Slave, Warrior, Queen ~ Morgan Rice (Of Crowns and Glory #1)


★★★☆☆

Lol what even was this??
When heart and sword meet, there shall be victory.
I've only ever read Turned by Morgan Rice before, and it's one of my favorite so-bad-it's-good books, so I went into this expecting the same level of pure garbage that Rice always delivers. And I definitely got that, but I also got a little something more.

This book honestly read like a promising but juvenile first draft. There was definitely something there, and I got some feels from certain events and the atmosphere. Ceres was hot headed and ridiculous, and probably the most cliche fantasy heroine ever, but I liked her. Thanos was definitely my favorite character, except he sometimes was a bit of a sexist pig, but it was so poorly done that I wasn't offended. The plot supposedly takes place over the course of like a week, but with every single chapter ending with some grand cliffhanger about how Ceres' life will never be the same, because she's been kidnapped or enslaved or made googly eyes at Thanos for the umpteenth time, it felt like 3 months at least. I couldn't help but sit back and laugh. It seriously felt like Rice made a comprehensive list of every YA fantasy cliche of the last decade and found some way to put every single one of them in this. And that's actually pretty impressive. Good job, I guess!

As a whole, this was a convoluted mess, just the way I like 'em.


Buy the book here:

Comments