City of Ashes ~ Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #2)



★★★★☆

After my re-read of City of Bones, I lowered what had been a 5 star rating to a 3 star. I went into this re-read expecting to have a similar experience. I'd already liked it less than the first book when I'd first read it, so I was quite surprised to find that I actually liked it. It's still a 4 star, but for entirely different reasons.

Clary actually had a bit of a personality, though her priorities are all over the place. Jace's storyline was still the best, despite how much of a douche bag he is. I had a problem with the adults, though. They all behaved like caricatures of adults. They were so immature and short-sighted. They practically wore their motivations on their sleeves. I could probably take almost any scene out of context, not tell you how old the person was, and you would probably think they were 13 years old. Not that there's anything wrong with 13 year olds, but there is a huge difference between 40 and 13.

I'm not sure why I thought the climax was particularly poorly done, as I said in my original review. It was honestly okay and made enough sense.

Simon is still the only character who feels entirely consistent, though. I still love him.

(Original review)

Overall, great! My only problem is that the climax was somewhat anticlimactic and only really made sense after the fact. The first book was better, but I'm still hooked!

Buy the book here:

Comments