City of Lost Souls ~ Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #5)


★★★★☆

Honestly, my feelings about the plot and the characters remain the same as my previous reading, but I just couldn't stand those directly quoted paragraphs from either like three pages before or even from different books. Every time one of those showed up, I imagined those flashback scenes from Twilight set to the music of Christina Perri. Like, why not just say Clary remembered what he had said and leave it at that, or, idk, let me draw my own conclusions and connections for once?

(Original rating: 5 stars)

After the literary trainwreck of City of Fallen Angels, I had no expectations for this book, but my stubbornness kept me from not reading the next installment. I've never been more happy with how annoying I am. City of Lost Souls is just what a good YA dark fantasy book ought to be. The engaging plot, the twists and turns, the multiple perspectives, gave this book what its predecessor lacked: substance. Every character was actively advancing the plot in one way or another, steadily without a rushed climax. While some of the plot twists were obvious, it didn't feel like the author was dumbing down the reader, rather I felt more like a detective who had successfully solved the mystery. The unexpected twists were even more welcome then.

I am eager to finish the series and move onto the stories that follow, as the world of Shadowhunters is full of wonders.

Buy the book here:

Comments