The Burning World ~ Isaac Marion (Warm Bodies #2)



★★★★★

Madness. Monsters. A city full of death. Even if we survive this plunge, it’s hard to see a future.

This re-read was utterly fantastic! I'm slowly losing my ability to read with my eyes and not just with my ears (bless and curse audiobooks!) but I could barely put this down, and I already knew what happens! There were a few parts, particularly at the beginning, that stretched my suspension of disbelief a little too far, and I still don't really care for Sprout, but this is definitely still a 5 star read.

"People have pasts. You can’t be a person without one."

R's journey through this is one of my favorite things I've ever read. It's paced so well (and having re-read it, foreshadowed like crazy in the best way possible!!!!). Something about Marion's writing just does it for me. His philosophical ramblings feel natural and are genuinely thought-provoking. I love everything about it.

Everything on earth has meant something to someone, and there has never been a person whom no one ever loved.

Something I love most about this installment is that while Warm Bodies can and was a standalone for a long time, this book is the perfect sequel. It literally expands the world, and gives so much depth to the characters and adds new ones just as interesting. M, Nora, Julie, and Abram are fantastic secondary protagonists and I love their characterization. The Library perspective is just so amazing and unique and I have so many questions. Let's hope The Living answers them for me.

A book speaks whenever someone reads it, and only its reader knows what it has said.


(Original review)

Isaac Marion is an amazing author. His words flow through me, chilling me and warming me over and over. I can't get enough of the strange and wonderful sensation the Warm Bodies series gives me. The Burning World brings together so many threads and seemingly unimportant elements into a grandly woven design.

This book is so timely and important. It goes from a zombie apocalypse romance to an action-packed political drama while remaining true to itself and its origins. It is a fantastic commentary on what today's society could become without love and understanding and acceptance.

Comments