Dominion ~ Shane Arbuthnott (The Molly Stout Adventures #1)

[WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers]


★★★★☆

I would like to thank Orca Book Publishers for providing me with this book via LibraryThing.

I don't usually do half star ratings, but...

4.5 stars
⭐⭐⭐⭐✨

"I am Molly Stout," she said, each word bringing more of her body alive around her. "I am human."

I really loved this book. Like, a lot.

The Writing

Shane Arbuthnott is a very good writer, I daresay. The atmosphere and the setting felt consistently tangible and real. The dialogue was distinct for each character, which really brought them all to life. I really loved the visual descriptions and sensory details, as they allowed me to really immerse myself into the story. I wish, though, that there had been more clothing descriptions, because it was difficult to imagine what kind of attire everyday people wore.

The plot was really very slow, though, for the first half, and while I found the world and characters interesting enough, I wasn't keen to pick this up all that often. Once the plot picked up, though, it didn't slow slow for long, and I was ultimately extremely pleased with the progression of plot and character arc.

I found some elements in this story to be a bit darker/more mature than I would have been comfortable reading when I was 10, which is the starting age suggested on the back of the book. Namely, the frequent use of the D word by many of the characters, the 14 year old MC included, and alcohol abuse and domestic abuse on the part of Molly's father. Since I am a young adult, I was not bothered by these things, but I can imagine a younger reader being shocked or even frightened.

"If it's a monster, we made it that way."

The Worldbuilding

This world was so unique! I've never read anything quite like it! Basically it's a science fiction fantasy alternate history. How cool is that?! The American continent is uninhabited save for the technologically advanced city of Terra Nova, while all of the Eastern hemisphere seems to be as it is today, with countries like France and England. In this world, machines are primarily powered by spirits that are caught by people like Molly, our brave MC, from portals in the sky called fonts. These spirits, which have elemental abilities, were reminiscent of traditional Asian spirits, and I got a strong Spirited Away vibe.

"I do not need your guilt, nor do I care for it. This is not about you. If you feel guilty, then use that to change things for the better. Otherwise, your feelings mean nothing."

The Characters

Molly Stout: Molly is the perfect protagonist. I do not mean, of course, that she is perfect, or that she thinks she is, but that she is exactly what a good MC ought to be. She is selfless and kind, brave and persistent, and she sticks to her principles and uses her many skills to do what's right. I really related to her. She was a treat to read, and I especially liked that there was no love interest for her, as that would have been unrelated to the plot and would have brought down the whole book.

Ariel: This spirit is the one who changes everything for Molly. She (though spirits are non-gendered—Ariel is alright with being referred to as female) is just as stubborn as Molly is, and watching them clash and team up was great.

Cog: My sweet baby Cog! Get you a Cog, guys. We all need a Cog. He's seriously the Dobby of this book, but cuter and sweeter. I love him with all my heart ❤❤❤

Arkwright: Dang this dude's creepy.

Mr Blaise: His name's a bit on the nose, but he was a formidable enemy and I was spooked, I gotta admit.

Da (idr his real name lol): Molly's father is a very complex and interesting man.

Rory Stout: I loved Rory! He was a riot! His extroversion and wit were not only needed comic relief in this rather melancholy book, but also useful, and made him into a great character I really enjoyed reading.

Kiernan Stout: Kiernan, despite being Rory's twin, was the quintessential overburdened older brother, carrying the family name on his back. He is loyal and honest, and as someone who doesn't have an older brother, even I felt brotherly love from him.

Conclusion

This book was excellent! If it weren't for the slow beginning, I would have definitely given it 5 stars! I haven't read a book so unique, or an ending so satisfying and epic, in a very long time, and it was so appreciated. This is definitely an underrated gem.


Buy the book here:

Comments