Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter #1)


★★★★☆
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."
So, I was unfortunate enough to be born after the release of this book, and so therefore I didn't grow up with it. I did grow up with the movies, though, and they had a great influence on my tastes in genre and storytelling. Reading the books for the first time was interesting, because I was worried that I would like the movies less, but instead, rather strangely, my feelings remain the same. I still (and please don't kill me for this) like the movie version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone more than the book. I did, however, really enjoy the book.
He had a powerful kind of ache inside him, half joy, half terrible sadness.
Part of the reason why I decided to read the books in the first place was because I wanted a more in-depth look at the world and characters, and that's exactly what I got in this. Harry was braver, Hermione was more flawed and more passionate, Ron was less of a funny sidekick and was a hero in his own right, and I could go on. The first chapter was pure gold, a real treat to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think that the only thing that was really lacking for me was that I am not a child anymore, and this is a book targeted at a middle grade audience. There were certain things, primarily in the word choice, the jokes, and the pacing, that were obviously intended for a juvenile audience, and because of that, I, being a 19 and a half year old, felt a bit too old to be reading this. All in all, however, I am glad I read it, and fully intend on finishing this series.


Buy the book here:

Comments