Eclipse ~ Stephenie Meyer (Twilight #3)


★★★☆☆

I'm honestly not joking when I say that I'm Team Mike Newton all the way. He's better than either option in every regard. 1) He's there for you as a friend even when things get tough (unlike Edward and Jacob). 2) He's willing to put aside his wants when it's obvious that you do not feel the same way, and therefore keeps his friendships without making things weird, all without manipulating you into feeling bad that you don't like him romantically and threatening suicide if you don't make out with him (unlike Jacob). 3) He's mortal and normal and won't bring any kind of danger onto you, and also isn't too old or too young (unlike Edward and Jacob). Basically, there's nothing wrong with Mike Newton. He's the only normal option but Bella doesn't consider him for some reason.

Besides all that, this book dragged. I was at the 50% mark hoping I was about to reach the climax. Most of that was because Jacob is the devil and Bella is too deluded to see that, but also because the order of events was so illogical and hard to follow that my suspended disbelief was precariously hanging over the ground, threatening to fall at any moment. I'm glad the movies changed stuff, keeping all the vital plot points but simplifying and correcting the random confusing crap, while also maintaining the fun ridiculousness without destroying all possible believability.

I did shed a tear during Rosalie's tale, though.


Buy the book here:

Comments