The Son of Neptune ~ Rick Riordan (The Heroes of Olympus #2)


★★★★☆

Hot Thanatos is an aesthetic I wholeheartedly stan

Honestly, this wasn't nearly as good as the first one, and lacked that atmosphere I absolutely loved. Only about one character (*cough* hot Thanatos) had the non-human, morally dubious attitude I got from Boreas and fam.

My biggest issue with this installment was the characters. Hazel was alright, but certain aspects of her character were way too similar to Piper, and Frank was almost exactly like Leo. And some aspects of his characterization made it clear Riordan was operating under false assumptions about non-white teenage life in the PNW. It was nice having Percy back, but the deus ex amnesia was pretty annoying. I loved the harpy, though.

I was surprised that I didn't hate the Amazons as much as I remembered. The first time I read this, I was like 13 or so, and I would literally seethe with rage whenever I thought about them. Why was I so pissed off?

I was really happy with the scenes in Portland and Seattle, as I've been to Portland and live right next to Seattle. It was so nice to have some familiar sights for the first time in this series.

Overall, this wasn't as interesting as the first book and I didn't enjoy it as much. This was the last book I read back in the day, so the rest of the series will be new territory for me. 🤞 Wish me luck 🤞

Buy the book here:

Comments