The Sun and Her Flowers ~ Rupi Kaur


★★★★☆

consider me surprised
to find
i enjoyed this book
despite not liking the first
opinions change and people grow
both as readers and as writers
never judge an author
by their first book
judge them by their second

This pretty much addressed all of my criticisms of the first book. It wasn't just about sex (though there was definitely a lot of that); it was about family and love and what it means to be an immigrant. It actually made me cry on several occasions, and while I marked only 3 poems in the first book, I marked 25 in this. It was worlds away from the messy nonsense of Milk and Honey. It felt more real and genuine. It felt less like a 13-year-old's tumblr poetry and more like an adult. The narrative poems were some of my favorites and the shorter ones had messages that weren't reiterated repeatedly. I really liked it. I'm glad the years between this publication and the previous showed some growth and honed skill.


Buy the book here:

Comments