Blood Promise ~ Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy #4)


★★★★☆

This is by far my favorite entry in the Vampire Academy series. It gave me a bigger cast and a greater sense of the world. Honestly, it gave me almost everything that I've felt lacking in this series so far. The world felt so lived in, which is so hard to find in urban fantasy in my opinion. I realized, reading this, that I legitimately love this series, and not just in a so-bad-it's-good kinda way. It's really evolved into something great and well developed. It has the sillier exterior, but a much deeper, much darker undercurrent, and I absolutely love that.

Rose's journey was definitely the best part. Even though very little happened for a long time, it was good build up to her ultimate decision and nice foreshadowing for what happens at the end. There was a plot twist that I definitely saw coming from a mile away, but I didn't really mind it. And I absolutely loved Dimitri's family; they were great. I wasn't a huge fan of Lissa's storyline, but I did find myself genuinely liking her for basically the first time ever, so that was nice. She really needed that distance from Rose to actually become her own character.

And Dimitri was INSANE in this! Oh my gosh! OH MY GOSH!!!

There was some weird timeline issues with Rose's warging thing though: at one point, she goes into Lissa's head and sees her partying too hard (and she makes some bad decisions), and then later, Rose has some crazy stuff happen to her. The narration then says it has been several days, but when she goes back into Lissa's head, Lissa refers to the bad decision as "last night" instead of a few days ago, which really confused me. Another thing I didn't really like in this, that kept it from 5 stars, was that I really didn't like how the ending kind of ignored and brushed under the rug all the horrible stuff that happened to Rose. I really expected something more, idk, meaningful and emotional to result from everything. But instead I got some indirect dialogue and more Lissa-pitying, which kinda pissed me off.

Ultimately, though, I loved this, and I'm definitely motivated again to actually finish this series!


Buy the book here:

Comments