Mid Year Freak Out Book Tag ~ 2019 edition



I found out about this from Nana's tag
What's the best book that you've read so far in 2019?
 

Definitely The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark. I look at all my other 5 star reads this year, and none of them really compare, honestly.
What has been your favorite sequel of the first half of the year?

It was sort of a hard choice between my re-read of The Burning World by Isaac Marion and my first-time read of Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, but I ultimately choose Crooked Kingdom.
New release you haven't read yet, but want to

I adored the first book, Grace and Fury, so I have high hopes for the sequel, Queen of Ruin by Tracy Banghart. It came out on the 2nd of July and I really need to get a hold of it.
Most anticipated release for the second half of the year

The Monster of Elendhaven by Jennifer Giesbrecht really seems to be up my alley and I just want it in my grubby little hands right now!
Biggest disappointment

Definitely Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. This honestly just sucked and I had to DNF after barely 100 pages because I couldn't stand the writing and the characters.
Biggest surprise


My closest friends and family all know that I love me some trashy YA. The worse, the better. When I read Half-Blood by Jennifer L Armentrout, I honestly expected it to be subpar trash, but it really surprised me! It was golden trash at its finest and I really appreciated it.
Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)
Honestly, it's sort of a tie between Jeff VanderMeer and Anna Smith Spark of TCoBK fame (see above). I've only read one book by each author, but what I read really convinced me that they're new favorites.
Newest fictional crush

I've been more of a loveless crone than usual this year, so really there was only one guy in the running for this. His name is Lionel and he's a merman and you'll thank me later. Read all about him in Anela Deen's new book, Beneath Cruel Fathoms.
Newest favorite character

I would go with Mogget from Sabriel, but I read that in December so it doesn't count. I'll have to go with his canine counterpart instead, the Disreputable Dog from Lirael by Garth Nix. What an icon!
Book that made you cry


Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith!!! I sobbed like I was about to die reading a certain scene that I still haven't forgiven the author for.
Book that made you happy

My brother finally got me to read My Father's Dragon, which he's been obsessed with since we were kids, and it was actually one of the most delightful books I've ever read!
Most beautiful book you’ve bought this year

Technically I haven't bought Wilder Girls by Rory Power yet, but it has been pre-ordered and I got an ARC as well, as I am in love with it entirely.
What books you need to read by the end of the year?
Well, let's start with my ARCs and other freely received copies, shall we?

In no particular order:

  1. Wilder Girls (as mentioned above)
  2. The Eternal by Bianca Hunter
  3. Guilty Crown by Bree De'leon
  4. The Phantom Forest by Liz Kerin
  5. Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
  6. Nottingham by Nathan Makaryk
  7. A Divided Mind by M Billiter
  8. The World on Either Side by Diane Terrana
  9. Lost and Found by Orson Scott Card
  10. Blood Heir by AmeliΓ© Wen Zhao
  11. Beyonders. Vol. 1: The Mapmaker by Paul Jenkins and Wesley St. Clair
Now for the regular books I have planned (again, in no particular order):
  1. Sky Keeper by S.M. Gaither
  2. Hunted by Meagan Spooner
  3. This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
  4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  5. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
  6. The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Mahnke
  7. Cruel Beauty (reread) by Rosamund Hodge
  8. Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
And that's not even all I have planned. That's just the next month or so, honestly. I need to learn how to budget.

Favorite Book Community Member

  1. @the_novelty_notebook
  2. @laurelsuspectedbibliophile
  3. @kaleighmwilliams
  4. Caleb (aka InsaneReader)
  5. Kat (aka paperback dreams)
Among others...

Comments

Post a Comment